Maybe due to my experience as a Pastry Chef, I have always looked forward to the options of “flavor profiles” that relate to the Fall season.
My fondest memories are from visiting an apple orchard with my family and picking apples, drinking hot apple cider and apple donuts always the best part, going on a hayride through the orchard, and observing the process of apples being washed, dried, and packed for the store. Seeing the apple cleaning process made me realize the importance of preparing food so that each ingredient on the plate is shown in the best way possible.
The other day I went apple picking with my partner, Noah and suddenly I began thinking about the fall inspired pastries that I plan to sell on the patisserie and the new recipes to introduce.
Here is the first fall inspired recipe that I offer you. I hope you all enjoy it, as much as i do.
CARROT GINGER SOUP
2 pounds carrots-peeled and chopped
2 oz. butter
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 oz. crystallized ginger- chopped
1 Granny Smith apple- peeled and chopped
4 cloves of garlic
1 Tbl. curry powder
4 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups carrot juice
1 can of coconut milk
creme fraiche & green onions (optional)
1. I suggest cooking your soup in a dutch oven. First, saute the onion, garlic, ginger, crystallized ginger, and apple until the onions are aromatic and nicely browned.
2. Next add the carrots, curry powder, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
3. Add the 4 cups of vegetable broth, stir and cover. Allow the soup to simmer for one hour.
4. After an hour, test to see if the carrots are tender. Try using a fork to see if it easily falls apart and is sufficiently soft.
5. Remove the soup from the stove and add one can of coconut milk. With a hand blender, blend until smooth.
note: Taste the soup and add salt or pepper to your liking
6. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with creme fraiche and chopped scallions
*Did you know that we are selling Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits with Parmesan cheese on top.These biscuits are amazing to pair with the soup. It has so many notes of autumn and it just welcomes the season.
You can purchase 4 or 6 biscuits to share with your family.