These chocolate chip cookies have been part of my collection ever since I started my career. The recipe originated with my first Pastry Chef who taught me everything I know. I have changed the recipe so many times that I can't even remember the original. Although I cannot divulge my iconic chocolate chip cookie recipe, here is a spin -off from my personal recipes. My ideal of the perfect chocolate chip cookies is a cookie which is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. It should be the ideal compromise between people who prefer their chocolate cookie to be super thin and crispy and others who like more of a softer interior.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
A digital scale is necessary for these proportions
1 lb. 8oz. butter
15 oz. sugar
3 oz. dark brown sugar
3 oz. sugar in the raw
5 oz. light brown sugar
10 oz. eggs
1 tbl. vanilla bean paste or extract
1 tbl. baking soda
1 tbl. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
2 lb. 2.5 oz. all purpose flour
1 lb. Valrona chocolate (Manjari) chopped OR chocolate chunks
1 lb. 2.5 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Bring the butter to room temperature.
2. With a paddle attachment on a stand mixer, cream the butter with the sugars.
3. Slowly incorporate the eggs and vanilla. Don’t overmix.
4. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
5. Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until everything is combined.
6. Mix in the chocolate.
7. Scoop the batter onto the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches between cookies.
8. Gently press the cookies down slightly so they are flat.
9. You may choose to add a bit of sea salt on top.
10.Bake the cookies for 15-18 minutes until they are golden brown. Allow time to cool.
11. Yield is 50 cookies.